To begin with on PrEP, confer with your regular medical practitioner or nursing assistant, or go to a intimate wellness Clinic. There are also other clinics that offer PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC wellness Map.
Is PrEP right for me personally?
To discover if brides best woman PrEP suits you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is for HIV-negative people who will be prepared to just just simply take an everyday pill.
You should look at PrEP that is taking if:
- Try not to always utilize condoms while having sex
- Recently possessed an infection (sti that is sexually transmitted
- Do have more than one intimate partner
- Have partner who’s intercourse along with other lovers
- Have partner that has HIV and a detectable or unknown load that is viral
- Want to conceive by having a partner who’s got HIV
- Have partner whom will not get an HIV test
- Have intercourse for the money, medications or an accepted spot to keep
- Inject medications or have partner who injects medications
So how exactly does PrEP stop HIV?
If you should be confronted with HIV, the medications in PrEP stop the herpes virus from distributing through your human body, preventing an HIV disease. PrEP just works for those who have sufficient medicine within you, so that you need certainly to just take PrEP each and every day.
Truvada® — the only medicine currently approved as PrEP — is a mix of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are exactly the same safe medications that lots of people with HIV used to remain healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Do you know the relative negative effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to deal with people who have HIV since 2004.
A lot of people on PrEP try not to report any relative negative effects. For people who do, probably the most side that is common are nausea, upset belly, exhaustion and headaches. These signs usually have better or go away inside the month that is first of PrEP. Rare negative effects consist of renal or bone tissue issues. Your medical professional or nursing assistant makes it possible to manage any negative effects.
How good does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through intercourse by over 90% for those who just take the tablet at the least four times per week. Your HIV risk is significantly reduced invest the PrEP each and every day.
Since PrEP ended up being introduced in 2012, it offers assisted reduce brand brand new HIV infections across nyc.
If We just take PrEP, do I still need to make use of condoms?
PrEP is definitely A hiv that is effective choice for those who do not use condoms whenever they have intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and pregnancy that is unintended.
Just how do I just simply take PrEP?
With PrEP, you are taking a tablet when a even on days that you do not have sex or inject drugs day.
PrEP is recommended by way of a nurse or doctor.
- That you do not have HIV and that your kidneys and liver are healthy before you start PrEP: Your doctor or nurse will test you to make sure.
- When you are on PrEP: your medical professional or nursing assistant will test you every 90 days for HIV and also at minimum every half a year for any other STIs.
For more information on what to anticipate whenever using PrEP, see an individual’s Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
The length of time does it just just take for PrEP to focus?
Studies declare that you will need to simply simply simply take PrEP that is daily for minimum:
- 7 days before PrEP provides maximum security when you will be the receptive or “bottom” partner during anal intercourse.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you will be the receptive partner during genital intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It’s not yet understood exactly how many times you’ll want to just just take PrEP you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or vaginal sex before it can provide maximum protection when.
How to buy PrEP?
In ny State, PrEP is covered by Medicaid and a lot of medical health insurance plans.
You may be eligible for a patient assistance program that helps pay for PrEP if you do not have insurance or have a high co-pay. Medical clinics can additionally apply help patients. You are able to enlist as an insurance that is low-cost by calling 311.
Find out more about your re Payment choices for PrEP (PDF).
Am I able to get PrEP if i will be an undocumented immigrant
Immigration status doesn’t impact your capability to obtain PrEP. You can easily properly talk to staff at our Health that is sexual clinics how your immigration status may influence your alternatives for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention techniques.
That I am on PrEP if I am covered by my parents’ insurance, will they be notified?
No. Even although you are more youthful than 18, parental authorization isn’t needed to begin PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and visits that are related the clinic should be private.
You can take steps to stop an “Explanation of Benefits” form from being sent to your parents or policyholder if you are covered by your parents’ insurance. Your PrEP provider can help you using this procedure.
exactly How else could I remain HIV-negative?
- Find out about crisis PEP. If you should be perhaps not taking PrEP and think you had been recently confronted with HIV, get straight away to the doctor or an urgent situation room and have for PEP, an urgent situation medicine that will avoid HIV. You could call the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to begin with on PEP immediately. The hotline is present 24/7.
- Utilize condoms as frequently as feasible. Discover the type and size of condom you love. Condoms are for sale to free in every five boroughs. To get our where you are able to get yourself a free condom, call 311 or look at the NYC Health Map
- Utilize lube. Use water-based or lubricant that is silicone-based specially during rectal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test may be the way that is only understand if you or a partner has HIV.
- Confer with your lovers about screening. Pose a question to your intercourse lovers concerning the last time they had an HIV test. To make sure, get tested together.
- Help your lovers coping with HIV. Encourage partners living with HIV to obtain HIV care and just simply simply take their medicines every day, so that they remain healthy and don’t pass HIV to other people.
- Get examined for any other STIs. STIs causes it to be more straightforward to get or spread HIV.
- Prevent alcohol and drugs if you have intercourse. Consuming or getting high if you have intercourse makes it difficult to keep in mind to utilize condoms. For make it possible to quit using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are around for over 200 languages.
- Utilize clean syringes (PDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid syringes that are sharing cookers, cottons and medication solutions. Learn where you could get syringes that are clean the town.
PrEP for females
PrEP is definitely an effective hiv avoidance choice for cisgender and transgender females when taken daily.
Ladies who have genital intercourse must be particularly careful to simply just just take PrEP each and every day to keep medicine that is enough their genital tissue to stop an HIV infection.
Women that have sexual intercourse with females and whom could be confronted with HIV through sex or injecting drugs can additionally take advantage of PrEP.
Will PrEP affect my contraception?
No. Research shows that PrEP will not restrict hormone-based birth prevention. PrEP just stops HIV, which means you nevertheless need certainly to use birth prevention or condoms to avoid unintended maternity and other STIs.
Will PrEP affect my hormones treatment?
No. There isn’t any proof that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the quantities of hormones within your body. Studies have discovered that transgender ladies who just just simply take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
Am I able to simply simply take PrEP while looking to get expecting or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect ladies who are making an effort to conceive a kid by having a partner that is hiv-positive. PrEP is safe when it comes to child and mother both during and after maternity, and contains perhaps maybe maybe not been proven to impact fertility.
If you’d like to simply simply take PrEP while attempting to conceive, talk to your physician. You might have to consult a specialist for lots more guidance about using PrEP that way.